Wow. My 50th post since I began posting (semi) regularly. You’ve all heard the old adage that when you do something regularly for 21 days, that it forms a habit? Well, not so much. There’s some basis for the saying, but the truth of the matter is that it’s basically the same as the stuff that comes out of the south end of a north-bound horse. It usually takes at least two months of repeating an action before it begins to become a habit.
But with this being the 50th post, well… that’s getting close to two months worth, right? Right? I’m going to say yes. :-))
These weekly postings are becoming enough of a habit that I definitely miss it when I don’t get something up here on Wednesdays. Last week, it was nothing more than an experiment on a new way to let people sign up for my publishing announcements (a successful experiment, I might add.)
This week, there’s a bit more to talk about, so let’s get to it. I have another habit I’m working on (writing) and I need to get back to it. ;-)
I got a couple of late responses back from three of my Chucklers beta readers. Comments from two were that they much preferred the new ending, so it looks like that was a good call. And last night I got another one, where the reader found a couple of flat-out mistakes in the manuscript that got past me, and all the other betas! I know that no manuscript is ever, EVER perfect, but these mistakes really made me shake my head. There is a missed first-person pronoun, that hearkens back to the earliest “first person” version of the story (before the cast of POV characters got big enough to make first person impractical), a character named incorrectly (again, back when the character had another name in a previous version), and a less critical, but still noteworthy misspelling. Oy!! :beatup:
In the meantime, End Point Pangaea is going well. I’m about 8k words into it, and moving right along. With any luck, the first draft will be done in a few months.
The cantaloupes are starting to ripen like crazy, and it seems like we get a new one (or two, or three) every day. And some of the watermelons are so close to being ripe that it’s driving MBH & I crazy waiting. We’ve been SO tempted to go ahead and pick one just based on the size, color, and the “thump” sound when we tap one. But everything I’ve been told, read, and learned last year, says that we have to wait until the “spoon” leaf dries up, and the tendrils closest to the fruit turn brown. So we wait. (sigh)
We’ve got all kinds of peppers coming in, and we’re getting some eggplants, too. No more tomatoes, though. :-( And despite throwing tons of diatomaceous earth on the squash bugs that killed our zucchini, they migrated to the cucumber plants and killed them too. I’ve got some neem oil and am planning to spray the crap out of the little buggers with that tomorrow morning. If I don’t, then I run the risk of them migrating to my melons next, and that simply cannot be tolerated! :soldier:
Remember a few weeks back in WW48 when I talked about the problems we were having with the girls fighting? We were to the point of being willing to give Cricket to a new family, despite the fact that it was going to break our hearts. Well, that new home didn’t happen, and we’re still going through their training regimen every evening. And (fingers crossed) it looks like it may be working. Neither MBH nor I want to jinx anything, but the girls haven’t fought in more than two weeks, and they seem to be accepting their new roles in the pack. Bella is doing better with the training exercises (trying to get Cricket to lay down is frustrating at times… she seems to think you want her to roll onto her back and submit), but we’re seeing progress.
And like I said, I don’t want to jinx anything. We still have a few months of this regimen before we can really begin to relax.
So that’s it. Time to get back to work. Take care everyone, and as always, stay safe.